Sequins was a big trend this winter….and it seems to be carrying into spring. But knowing HOW to wear sequins is a bit tricky. So I thought I’d dedicate this post to just that!
I personally own 5 sequins/shiny items:
- Copper/silver chain purse (Aldo)
- Black pumps (Guess)
- Copper/Gold tank-top (INC, Hudson Bay Co.)
- Gold sequins mini-dress (Sears)
- Blue & black headband/fascinator (Ardene)
Here are a few general tips for incorporating sequins into your wardrobe:
- Mixing sequins with simpler articles of clothing that do not have embellishments will almost always look good. You can dress up something old or something plain without fear of going overboard. For a super casual downtown vibe, I’ve donned my sequins tank layered with long cardi or flannel button-down, black jeans, and a beanie.
- If you’re a little wary about wearing sequins on your clothes, you can still work this style out through your accessories! You might choose a pin, a headband, a purse, shoes, or a piece of jewelry – sequins are great for accent pieces. As you can see … I started that way with a purse, headband and shoes…easing myself into the sequins scene. 🙂
- You don’t have to stick to standard black or even silver. Sequins come in every color of the rainbow, after all, different colored sequins can create a dazzling effect. There’s no reason not to experiment with different colors.
- However, let me repeat: do not try every colour all at one! A multicolored sequined extravaganza might be great for a costume and is common with Bollywood looks….., buuuuuut keep it down to one or two. Otherwise you’re going to look a little like a disco ball threw up on you, and possibly blind someone.
So waddya think? Were my general tips above helpful?
Would YOU incorporate a bit of sequins into your wardrobe and outfits?
Rebecca Northcott, of Rebecca Northcott Photography took a few fab shots of me in this gold sequins dress – insisting that this glittery frock be brought out and worn more often. I wholeheartedly agree! I’ve only worn this ONCE for a company Holiday Party (more than a year ago). But by pairing it something more casual, like these tall knee-high/thigh-high black leather boots (from AdditionElle), gives the dress more wearability for a fun night out and about rather than just limited to a Holiday/New Years/one-time only events. What do you think?